Keep everyone safe on the road this winter, by getting your car ready for the cold and using some simple tips to drive safely.
- Avoid using cruise control in wintry conditions
- Steer in the direction of a skid, so when your wheels regain traction, you don’t have to overcorrect to stay in your lane
- Accelerate and decelerate slowly
- Increase following distance to 8 to 10 seconds
- If possible, don’t stop when going uphill
Prepare Your Car:
- Test your battery; battery power drops as the temperature drops
- Keep your gas tank at least half full to avoid gas line freeze
- Check the tire pressure; tire pressure drops as the temperature drops
- Check your wiper blades and replace if needed
Check out these tips and more at the National Safety Council’s Winter Safety Page!